DIKARKA

Let's Speak (write) English

3 670 сообщений в этой теме

Hey everyone, I also want to practice.

I used to live in Toronto for couple of years while I was studying there. Picked up some good language but after moving back to Moscow I'm starting to forget it due to lack of practice. Meh :( 

Поделиться сообщением

В 5/7/2017 в 21:32, Iva сказал:

Hi everyone, anyone! I wonder if its possible to say "fighting cats and dogs" in a matter of "arguing a lot and loud". Have heard it from someone, and thought it was only appliable for "raining cats and dogs" for weather. 

В 6/19/2017 в 22:44, Splendour сказал:

I actually meant "one", not addressing anybody directly, just used your quote, sorry. Iva might have heard fight like cats and dogs but overlooked the preposition) my idea is nevertheless the same - if one isn't sure - they should look it up)

Though I’m a ‘bit’ late )), but while reading an article about a movie recently I saw a phrase they loved each other cats and dogs. It confused me a little at that time... So I think Iva hasn’t overlooked the preposition and ‘cats and dogs’ can be used as ‘a lot’ for emotional colouring.

Поделиться сообщением

В 21.6.2017 в 11:43, Larissskin сказал:

Hey everyone, I also want to practice.

I used to live in Toronto for couple of years while I was studying there. Picked up some good language but after moving back to Moscow I'm starting to forget it due to lack of practice. Meh :( 

For a couple of years:flowers1:.

Поделиться сообщением

54 минуты назад, she-cat сказал:

Though I’m a ‘bit’ late )), but while reading an article about a movie recently I saw a phrase they loved each other cats and dogs. It confused me a little at that time... So I think Iva hasn’t overlooked the preposition and ‘cats and dogs’ can be used as ‘a lot’ for emotional colouring.

This is exactly I was wondering about, like in the meaning of "really intensevely", "a lot". Thank you!

Поделиться сообщением

Girls, I have a question.

Is it really important nowdays, if we use (or don't use) words like "a", "the" right in speach or writing?

I mean, not a professional level, but only for everyday life. I was listening to american, UK bloggers, also to average people. They dont care about it, as I could notice.

But now a have doubts, though I speak english everyday with my foreign friends.

Поделиться сообщением

Hi, what is correct: «there is 13 of you», or «there are...»?

Поделиться сообщением

12 минуты назад, Iva сказал:

Hi, what is correct: «there is 13 of you», or «there are...»?

I think, " there are" is.

Поделиться сообщением

5 часов назад, Giesem сказал:

I think, " there are" is.

Yes.

13 of anything is plural, so it's "There are".

Поделиться сообщением

В 3/21/2018 в 15:36, PARDES сказал:

Girls, I have a question.

Is it really important nowdays, if we use (or don't use) words like "a", "the" right in speach or writing?

I mean, not a professional level, but only for everyday life. I was listening to american, UK bloggers, also to average people. They dont care about it, as I could notice.

But now a have doubts, though I speak english everyday with my foreign friends.

Fairly important. In very informal writing (IM or SMS) it's acceptable not to use them. In anything more formal than that, you'll still be understood if you have difficulty with them, but it's not ideal.

The main effect is people will be able to guess your native language is Slavic; other Western European languages have similar articles, and Asian languages' grammars are so different that their native speakers have bigger difficulties.

Поделиться сообщением

Создайте аккаунт или войдите для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас

• Сейчас на странице   0 пользователей

Нет пользователей, просматривающих эту страницу